16 takeaways from the MoU between Labour and FG to halt nationwide strike
Organised labour and the Federal Government finally came to an agreement on Monday evening after an hours-long meeting, leading to a 30-day suspension of the nationwide indefinite strike action scheduled for the next month.
The MoU has 16 far reaching resolutions between the two sides. Below are the 16 takeaways from the MoU.
1. The Federal Government grants a wage award of N35,000 (thirty-five thousand Naira) only to all Federal Government workers beginning from the month of September pending when a new national minimum wage is expected to have been signed into law.
2. A minimum wage committee shall be inaugurated within one month from the date of this agreement.
3. Federal Government suspends collection of Value Added Tax (VAT) on Diesel for six months beginning from October, 2023.
4. Federal Government accepts to vote N100 billion for the provision of high capacity CNG buses for mass transit in Nigeria. Provisions are also being made for initial 55,000 CNG conversion kits to kick start an auto gas conversion programme, whilst work is ongoing on state-of-the-art CNG stations nationwide.
5. The rollout aims to commence by November with pilots across 10 campuses nationwide.
6. The Federal Government plans to implement various tax incentive measures for private sector and the general public.
7. On the leadership crises rocking the NURTW and the purported proscription of RTEAN, the Federal Government commits to handling Labour matters in line with relevant ILO Conventions and Nigerian Labour Acts. A resolution of the ongoing impasse is expected by or before October 13.
8. The issue of outstanding Salaries and Wages of Tertiary Education workers in Federal-owned educational institutions is being referred to Ministry of Labour and Employment for further engagement.
9. The Federal Government commits to pay N25,000 per month for three months starting from October, 2023 to 15 million households, including vulnerable pensioners.
10. The Federal Government will increase its initiatives on subsidized distribution of fertilizers to farmers across the country.
11. The Federal Government should urge State Government through the National Economic Council and Governors Forum to implement wage award for their workers. Similar consideration should also be given to local government and private sector workers.
12. The Federal Government commits to the provision of funds as announced by the President on the 1st of August broadcast to the Nation for Micro and Small Scale Enterprises. The MSMEs beneficiaries should commit to the principle of decent jobs.
13. A joint visitation will be made to the refineries to ascertain their rehabilitation status.
14. All parties commit to henceforth abide by the dictates of Social dialogue in all our future engagements.
15. The NLC and TUC accept to suspend for 30 days the planned Indefinite Nationwide strike scheduled to begin, Tuesday, the 3rd of October, 2023.
16. This Memorandum shall be filed with the relevant Court of competent jurisdiction within one (1) week as consent judgment by the Federal Government.
We do hope that the information we were able to provide you are helpful. Checkout out other unique articles on our blog for more detailed information and do well to share with your friends and family. Follow us on our Twitter and Facebook to stay updated with premium information.
Please leave any comments or questions in the area given below.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in Fact Check are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Fact Check. Any content provided by our bloggers or authors is of their opinion and is not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, individual, or anyone or anything.
Information is presented to the best of our knowledge and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability, or availability concerning the website or the information, products, services, or related graphics contained on the website for any purpose. Therefore, any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk.